Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I can finally blog again!!

     I am so excited to be back to blogging....I have missed it! What a CRAZY couple of months it has been for our family! Lets do a little re-cap here.....at the end of Feb. I was busy getting ready for a baby, and planning a birthday party and packing a house/organizing a move across the country, and still walking(waddling) almost everywhere! At 38-40 weeks pregnant....this was all pretty exhausting. But I did it!
     Then came a baby.....but not at all how I planned! You can read that full story here if you wish! :) Needless to say I was not prepared to be recovering from a major surgery with only 5 weeks until our move! How was I supposed to pack up a whole house when I wasn't supposed to lift more than 10lbs? But with some help of friends, and an amazing husband, we did it! Packing up a house to move across the country with 3 small kids and an incision in my abdomen wasn't so fun, but getting to hang out with all my amazing friends before we left was. We were trying to cram so many things into that last week, we were crazy busy, but it was worth it! I made so many INCREDIBLE friends in Toronto, and I miss them all so much! Thank goodness for Facebook!
     Then there was the actual move. Things went soooo smoothly on the Toronto end, I was sure things were going to end well. Once our things were loaded into the truck we were told it would arrive in 7-10 days (ahem..cough..cough...try 50!!!). So here we were living in a basement suite in Edmonton with  a very few things. We had a dozen or so boxes of thing that had been kept in storage at my moms while we were in Toronto. But boxes of games, movies, photo albums and craft supplies don't do you a whole lot of good when you are trying to settle into a place.
You can see the pile of boxes we lived in for a month.
      We had about a weeks worth of clothes in suitcases, and our queen size bed(which was also in storage) our kids slept on a borrowed foam mattress, we bought a few dishes/utensils and made do for over a month! I literally could not have survived if it weren't for my sister! She lived upstairs and daily I was borrowing things! A pot or pan, a toaster, a strainer, bowls....really anything from the kitchen....also band aids, toilet paper, toothpaste....you name it,   I am sure at some point we borrowed it. We would also come upstairs and borrow a table to eat our meals sometimes, or a couch to sit on. We did share a lot of meals (especially when both our husbands went off to Toronto for Mikes convocation) and our kids had a lot of fun playing/fighting with each other!! :)
 Mike and Jordie in Toronto at Mikes convocation.
      Once our stuff had arrived we decided there was no point in unpacking it, because we found out we would be making yet another move. Mike accepted a job out in Edson, two hours west of Edmonton. In a sense it was the easiest move because most of our things were still packed up, but it was also the hardest, because I was not planning on moving so soon, and especially not planning on moving to Edson. But we are here and we are adjusting!
     Finding a place was no easy task either. Rentals are REALLY hard to come by here, and we lucked out when friend of friends were moving out right as we needed to move in. They were hoping to sell the place but we weren't in a position to buy...yet...so we came to agreements and we are renting for a few months and will be buying the place as soon as we are able. It a three bedroom townhouse/condo. I have an upstairs, main floor, and basement. And I have an AWESOME kitchen! I couldn't be happier, we have so much space! Now we just need to get a few more items of furniture to fill it and we will be set.
LOVE my kitchen!
     We also managed to celebrate Aubrey's 3rd birthday, bless Jaxen, visit my Mom and Dads several times, and take 2 trips down to Waterton. We banked a lot of time in the car!

YAY for road trips!!!! 
     The second trip we managed to hit a deer on the way down, or rather it hit us. Traveling 110km/hr we amazingly drove away with barely a tiny dent on the drivers side door. I'll spare you the picture of the deer! :) And to add to the crazy trip we were actually down in Waterton when the flooding of Southern Alberta happened. The water levels in the town site rose crazy high, but I don't think there was much flood damage to any of the buildings.
    
No sign of any beach here.

The docks were very flooded.
     It was very crazy driving back up north after and see all of the damage and water that was still around. We were glad we didn't get caught in it. It really has been a crazy last couple of months. It really has been a whirlwind, with a lot of emotionally straining things happening, but I survived. I am so grateful for such an amazing husband and family that kept me mostly sane through it. Mike can vouch for my crazy times I am sure. :) We are feeling blessed despite it all, Mike loves his new job, and I am excited to see what life will be like post grad school! Things will settle in and we will find our new groove and life will go on!

Mike did it! 6 years of school down, a lifetime of work ahead of him!! So proud of him!

No comments:

Post a Comment