Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bad Night

So one of the "perks" of living in U of T student family housing is the cockroaches. Did I say perks? I meant....one of the most disgusting things ever! I really feel for the most part that we keep our house really clean. I have tried to do everything I can to reduce our chances of getting them too, like making sure there is no cardboard laying around,  keeping food tightly sealed, keeping food messes cleaned and not letting the garbage sit. Sometimes we go a long time without seeing these creepy little crawlers. But sometimes it is out of our control. I would like to blame it on the neighbors....or maybe changing weather, but I really don't think it has anything to do with us. Luckily our building also does regular treatments for said roaches at no cost to us. Not so luckily the treatment we get has no effect on baby cockroaches.....which turn into adult cockroaches. The baby ones we get are a little bit bigger than a fruit fly, and those I can kill easily. It's the big ones, half an inch to an inch that I can't handle....Mike has to kill them, and if Mike isn't around, then one of Mikes big sturdy shoes has to do the job.
So why such a bad night you ask? Because I have to get up in the middle of the night to pee....it happens every night right now, sometimes twice, but that isn't what ruined my night. Nope, what ruined my night was walking into the bathroom to see not one, not even two.....but FOUR cockroaches scurrying around. They were ones that were on their way to being too big for me to kill, and had it been daytime, I would have called Mike, but I was trying to be nice and let him sleep. Now the other thing about cockroaches....they are fast.....and they don't like to die. It was traumatic for me. I did get them, and then flushed them down the toilet to be sure. But when I went to crawl back in bed, I COULD NOT SLEEP! All I could think about was how many more might be in my house at that moment.....I couldn't stop itching either. My restlessness woke up Mike....he tried to comfort me...I was still itchy, and still could not stop thinking about cockroaches crawling all over my kitchen, and bathroom, and maybe even my bedroom.....it was a good solid hour before I drifted into a cockroach dreamland, which obviously wasn't very restful either.
We just got our apartment treated last week.....I might need to call them again.....I need my sleep.....

p.s. did I mention that I HATE cockroaches.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I don't think I would be able to sleep either. I find, the older I get, the less I like bugs :(

    Every now and then we joke about moving to California....then I think about spiders, snakes, scorpions and all the gross bugs and change my mind (and that is even before I start thinking about earthquakes). lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I know!!!!!! I hate all things creepy crawly! I loved Texas except the bugs too......and the rats....like the huge one we had in our apartment.....that's a whole other story!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete