Saturday, December 24, 2011

Miracle Moment!!

It really was a miracle that my caramels turned out!! It was all too late when I realized that my candy thermometer (brand new I might add) was definitely not working!
I first saw this recipe on pinterest. My mouth was watering when I saw it! Apple Cider Caramels! Come on, that is like candy apple with out having to gnaw on the apple!!
I also happen to LOVE caramel apple ciders from Starbucks!! YUMMY!!
When I went to the website I found out that the recipe actually came from one of my other favorite sites, Our Best Bites, which you should totally check out if you haven't already!
This was my very first batch of caramels ever! I had read and re-read the recipe, it didn't sound too hard! Just had to make sure you got it to the right temperature!
But I knew something was wrong when that thermometer
wasn't going any higher than 200˚F!!!
It would get close and then drop, then close again and then drop!

If any of you have made candy you know there isn't a lot of time to stop and consult the internet for other methods to check your candy's readiness! So I went way over to the farthest corners of my brain and tried to remember what I had seen my mother doing.....like ages ago!!

Something was ringing a bell about a glass of cold water and being able to roll a ball with the candy! I don't know how many times I dropped candy into that water, but finally I had success! I poured it into my pan and let them set!
They turned out better than I could have expected! Soooo good! Unless you have someone standing over your shoulder snapping pictures as you go...its hard to get pictures of the process....so you just get to look at the delicious aftermath!

No comments:

Post a Comment