Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tres Leches Cake

So I said I would do another post about Mikes cake.....I had every intention of doing it the very next day....but suddenly I turn around and over 10 days have passed! I am not sure where all of January went...but it is almost gone!!
So for Mikes birthday I wanted to do a special cake for him. I always like doing special cakes for birthdays. I have played around with fondant a bit and this was his cake a couple years ago.
Yup his 26th birthday!!
I do not claim do be a fondant professional....but I enjoy doing it. This was probably only my second cake...so don't look to close at the imperfections!! Mike asked for a fondant cake again this year....but I told him I had something else in mind.
When we went down to Mexico last January Mike couldn't get enough of this one cake. He didn't know what it was called so he called it water cake....because is was sooooo moist. He ate multiple pieces every day!
I had to get a picture of him enjoying his favorite dessert!
So imagine my delight when I came across a recipe on pinterest for Tres Leches Cake. I figured this had to be it! I was going to keep it a surprise from Mike, but I also didn't want to disappoint him when he didn't see a fondant cake. So I also asked him what fruit he would like to have served on top. He picked 2 fruits I wouldn't have thought of so I was glad I asked him. We topped it with kiwi and pomegranate This was the finished product! It was a huge success. Mike loved it and that was what I was hoping for. I would definitely make this again! Thank goodness for pinterest!!!
It was super yummy...like REALLY SUPER yummy!!
The reason it is called Tres Leches Cake is because after you bake and cool the cake you poke it with holes and pour a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, evaported milk and heavy cream over top. That is what makes it so moist, but not soggy!!! If you wanted to give if a try the recipe is pinned from this site! I hope you enjoy it too!

1 comment: