Friday, February 3, 2012

Pleasant Surprises!

I would like to believe that I have great kids! I might be biased, but I think they are amazing! What parent doesn't though? On top of that though, I have had other people tell me that I have good kids(maybe they are just being nice)! We try to teach them good manners and to be nice and say nice things, we teach them to clean up after themselves and let Mike or I know if they need help with a mess. But some things have just come with out being asked and it is awesome!
One morning out of the blue Mason came running into my room and said "MOM, guess what I did? I made my bed all by myself!!!"
Of course we gave him praise and said he was such a good boy(we aim for a lot of positive re-enforcement)! The most impressive part to me though was that I have never once asked Mason to make his bed. I make mine every morning and I go into the kids rooms and make theirs. I guess he noticed! It was such a pleasant surprise! The best part is that this has become a regular occurrence now! Almost every morning he says the same thing "Mom, guess what I did?" To which I reply "Did you make your bed all by yourself! You are such a big boy! Good job!" Sometimes when he is really ambitious he will make Aubrey's for her too.
You can't expect perfection, and it you are to look at the beds you might not think they are made. That comes with practice and I don't want to discourage him from doing it by telling him he did it "wrong/not good enough".
Mason is not the only one learning by example though. Miss Aubrey is a big copy cat! She loves doing anything and everything that Mason does. Which sometimes isn't good, but usually works to our advantage! We have taught Mason he needs to clear his plate after dinner and wash his hands and face. Aubrey now takes it upon herself to do all of this by herself too! She actually gets mad at me if I try clearing her plate. It is so cute to see her toddle into the kitchen and practically throw the dishes in the sink! We will stick with plastic with her for a while!
I hope that I can always set a good example for my kids to follow and they will not pick up all my bad habits, but stick with the good ones! I sure think they are great though!

No comments:

Post a Comment